These homemade cream puffs are so mouthwatering, flavorful, and delicious! Trust me, you can really taste the difference when you make these from scratch!
Despite their fancy, French-bakery appearance, these cream puffs are surprisingly easy to make! To make the dough, add the wet ingredients to a pot and bring to a simmer, then add the flour. Next, add the eggs, and put the dough in a pastry bag. When piping the puffs, they do not have to be perfect, just in the general shape. Remember, you will be cutting these cream puffs in half, do they definitely do not have to be the perfect shape!
After baking the dough until golden brown, make the cream. The cream is super easy to make, just whip heavy cream and add powdered sugar. I also like adding a little bit of vanilla for flavor. You can also add fruit extract if you want for a flavored cream! Once the cream puffs have cooled, cut them in half and add a thick layer of cream.
Finally, add the top half of the cream puff and your done! So tasty and easy! These cream puffs have a light, flaky, and buttery dough that go so well with cool and refreshing cream. When you make these from scratch, they taste SO MUCH BETTER than the store-bought ones. You can have these cream puffs with a cup of tea or coffee, or as a fancy dessert.
This cream puff dough can also be used to make other French pastries such as Eclairs. Just shape into a different shape and make similarly to the cream puffs. You can also melt some dark chocolate in a bowl, and dip the tops of these cream puffs with chocolate. Or you can add a layer of raspberry jam to add a sweet berry flavor. Get creative with these delicious homemade cream puffs!
These homemade cream puffs are absolutely delicious! Enjoy these refreshing and mouthwatering treats with a cup of coffee or tea!
Homemade Cream Puffs
- 1 cup water
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add water, butter, sugar and salt to a saucepan and bring to simmer. Once it starts simmering, remove from heat, add flour and stir right away until the mixture turns into a dough ball. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to dough one at a time and mix until incorporated into the dough.
- Put dough in a pastry bag with a large tip and pipe small rounds of dough on baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart (it should make about 20 pieces).
- Bake cream puffs for 10 minutes at 450F, then lower the temperature to 350F and bake for 15 more minutes. Remove the puffs from the oven and let cool completely.
- While the puffs cool, make the filling. Put heavy cream with a bowl and whip with a mixer until thick. Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Split each cream puff in half using serrated knife and put a scoop of whipped cream inside the bottom half, then put the top half back. Sprinkle with more powdered sugar if desired.